Saturday 17 May 2014

Between Stations Revisited

This is one of the last sketches I did before leaving Singapore this year. It is of a train approaching Boon Lay MRT station. We often did a grocery shop in one of the supermarkets at the Jurong Point Mall at Boon Lay. 

I first left the island state 43 years ago as a young adult and except for returning for 4 years in the 1980's have spent my life living in several (mostly Western) countries. I presently live in Canada.

I returned regularly to to see family in Singapore over the years and have long felt that I live with a foot in more than one country. Before going to live in Singapore for 8 months in 2013 I wondered how I would adapt to living there again (as opposed to going there on holidays) and how I would connect with old friends and family. 

It was a surprise to me how easily I slotted into daily life, strengthened many relationships and made new friends.

During that time I was very moved by a book which touched strongly on my own feelings of past and present, the notion of "home" and living between 2 countries. I had the great pleasure of befriending the author Kim Cheng Boey. 

His book is called "Between Stations". See Review.

No comments:

Post a Comment